This 1955 356
The Porsche COA states that this car was finished on June 8th 1955 for the German market. According to the original invoice (!) on file, this beautiful Porsche 356 Pre-A was sold September 10th, 1955. The new 356 was finished in the striking exterior color of 'Adria Blau Metallic'. According to the documents on record, it was first used as a 'Vorführingswagen' - or demonstration car - before it was sold to Her Karl Clauser from Ulm. In addition to the rarity of this early Porsche, what is significant about the car is that it is offered today with lots of its early history including the original invoice and letters between the Porsche and the owner. Even the first owner's German drivers license is still with the car!
The German owner moved to California, asking Porsche for advice on driving his car in the United States in a letter. According to several documents on file the car was still owned by Mr Clauser in 2004!
The car arrived in Europe through Antwerp around 2004 and was road registered in Belgium in 2007; were it stayed since. A few years after being in Belgium, a full restoration was commenced and this arrived in its final stages around 2017. The body was stripped to bare metal, professionally painted in period correct Adria Blau, and refitted with all new rubber seals and gaskets. The original date stamped wheels were painted in body color to match. Chrome and bright work was restored, while all mechanics were overhauled... Engine, starter, generator and distributor were rebuilt.
Inside the cockpit a lovely blueish grey interior was professionally fitted, with color-matched German type square weave carpets featuring ribbed rubber mats and tunnel, and a new cloth headliner installed.
Today this early Pre-A 'bend window' 356 looks stunning, and the attention to detail is magnificent throughout. Offered with an incredible history file, this completely matching Pre-A 356 Coupe beautifully demonstrates the pure and clean design of these early Porsche cars.
The car comes with FIVA papers, Porsche Certificate, original invoice and is entered in the Mille Miglia Registro. This could be your entry to the famous Mille Miglia rally or any other high quality classic car event.
THE PORSCHE 356
Although Ferdinand Porsche had established his independent automotive design consultancy in the early 1930s, his name would not appear on a car until 1949. When it did, it graced one of the all-time great sports cars: the Porsche 356. The work of Ferry Porsche, the Type 356 was based on the Volkswagen designed by his father, Ferdinand, and like the immortal 'Beetle' employed a platform-type chassis with rear-mounted air-cooled engine and all-independent torsion bar suspension.
Having commenced manufacture with a short run of aluminum-bodied cars built at the Gmünd, Austria-based old sawmill, Porsche began volume production of the steel-bodied 356 Coupe at its old base in Stuttgart, at first in premises shared with coachbuilders Reutter and then from 1955 in its original factory at Zuffenhausen. In 1951 a works car finished first in class at the Le Mans 24 Hours, thus beginning the marque's long and illustrious association with Le Sarthe.
Constant development saw the 356's engine progressively enlarged, and in 1952 the original split windscreen was replaced by a one-piece bent screen and a Porsche synchromesh gearbox adopted. 1955 marked the arrival of the revised 356A, the newcomer being readily distinguished by its curved windscreen and 15" - down from 16" - wheels.
These early 'Pre-A' Porsche 356 models are today considered some of the most collectible and rare Porsche cars ever produced and are admired for their pure and clean design.